Warcraft 3 USEast Clan for Fate / Another

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kyuyung

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:06 pm

Can I be a translator? I has alot of freedom since I have mid-winter break and no homework? I can always use some F/A wiki to help me with the korean also >.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TakizawaAkira

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:51 pm

I'll be a tester Surprised
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ronschi

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:57 am

i can help "coding" since i can use JASS and i guess most of you cant use it and i can also test if you want me to D:

PS: Lol @ Larukus picture
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brogath

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:44 am

after deprotecting the maps script becomes one big j.file basically, the whole script with every spell and trigger, becomes 'one' trigger.

everything in this file has to be changed manually and they cannot be merged either (<- that is the real crappy part)
so basically, the script will have to be done by one person, else you waste time because one would have to merge both (or more) files manually anyway.
however, a bit of extra input could be useful if one person does not manage alone...

The abilities, units and items are easily importable and can be split among people without much trouble.

Quote :
l46kok wrote:
Laruku wrote:
just tell me what to translate and ill have it done

Well, are you capable of translating intricate sentences? Here's an example:

칼리번:

흔히들 엑스칼리버로 오인하고 있는 검. 적에게 강력한 일격을 가한후 마력을 응집시켜 폭발시킵니다.

uhh i guess 칼리번 is caliburn ?

Although it sounds pretty awkward, i guess i would translate it liek this

Caliburn:

The sword commonly mistaken for Excalibur. Deals a devestating blow to its foe(s) as the condensed magical power explodes. lol ?

or something like - AFter administering a powerful strike, it detonates magical powers to damage its foe

lololol
unless you ave a WC3 version that can see these symbols, being able to read it is kind of useless and you will need to use the wiki for basically everything. it's not all that much of a problem, i did it as well Razz

but of course, people that can read it and translate based on the in-game info would yield better results i think. unless you want to base this map 1-1 on the wiki, in that case, none of that matters.

and finally, i have a working and clean deprotected version of the 1.2g real map, where do i upload this so people who will be working on it can get it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aneq

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:34 am

There will be additional (and hidden) subforum for this matter.
But kok needs to pick the project staff first.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laruku

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:23 pm

i didnt use translator u slut
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TakizawaAkira

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:37 pm

Pick me or no more blow jobs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brogath

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:58 am

TakizawaAkira wrote:
Pick me or no more blow jobs.

but in that case, i'll just keep a hold on the map for now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
macgrady

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:10 pm

I'd help with testing and some proofreading as well if I'm able to since I'd be quite free these days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
l46kok
Fate Another Developer

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Brogath wrote:
after deprotecting the maps script becomes one big j.file basically, the whole script with every spell and trigger, becomes 'one' trigger.

everything in this file has to be changed manually and they cannot be merged either (<- that is the real crappy part)
so basically, the script will have to be done by one person, else you waste time because one would have to merge both (or more) files manually anyway.
however, a bit of extra input could be useful if one person does not manage alone...

The abilities, units and items are easily importable and can be split among people without much trouble.

Quote :
l46kok wrote:
Laruku wrote:
just tell me what to translate and ill have it done

Well, are you capable of translating intricate sentences? Here's an example:

칼리번:

흔히들 엑스칼리버로 오인하고 있는 검. 적에게 강력한 일격을 가한후 마력을 응집시켜 폭발시킵니다.

uhh i guess 칼리번 is caliburn ?

Although it sounds pretty awkward, i guess i would translate it liek this

Caliburn:

The sword commonly mistaken for Excalibur. Deals a devestating blow to its foe(s) as the condensed magical power explodes. lol ?

or something like - AFter administering a powerful strike, it detonates magical powers to damage its foe

lololol
unless you ave a WC3 version that can see these symbols, being able to read it is kind of useless and you will need to use the wiki for basically everything. it's not all that much of a problem, i did it as well Razz

but of course, people that can read it and translate based on the in-game info would yield better results i think. unless you want to base this map 1-1 on the wiki, in that case, none of that matters.

and finally, i have a working and clean deprotected version of the 1.2g real map, where do i upload this so people who will be working on it can get it?

Send to my email address please.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://clanufw.darkbb.com
d3z
Fate Another Developer

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:38 am

Most likely I could help with any of your demands not related to translation.

Although I do not think removing protection from a map is necessary - I could simply extract ability, item, unit, and other such data into a blank map that you can modify and save to have the WE generated updated files, which can they be re-imported into the official map itself.

Perhaps as a side project, I could code up something to help make updating translations a simple task. Such a program might do things such as:
- allow the user to specify two maps as input
- with two input maps, allow the user to instruct the program to compare ability/item/unit/etc data between the two maps and discover differences (most likely a byte-for-byte comparison, which means there might not have been any substantial change - but it would allow the user to focus his attention to areas of translation that may need updating);
ability/item/unit IDs present in one map and not the other would also be noted;
- with two input maps, allow the user to instruct the program to copy ability/item/unit data from one map to the other map (this copying would likely function on ability/item/unit IDs matching between the two maps; again, abilities/items/units present in one and not the other might be noted)

The comparative function of the program would be used between two Korean versions of the map (the version translated and the newest released version). This would allow translators to quickly find areas that might need updated translations and note them.

Then the copy over command could be utilized to handle the brunt of the translation process again. Most likely some hand editing will be required of someone if there are differences between maps, however.

In the simplest case, assuming no major changes between Fate versions, the process might be as simple as...

shell> program -e "fateanother_oldver" "fateanother_newver"
"Examine" differences... perhaps no differences are noted, in which case...

shell> program -c "fateanother_oldengver" "fateanother_newver" "fateanother_newengver"
"Copy" string data from input one to input two, forming a new output file input three

Hand edit necessary things such as the loading screen, differences in abilities, and so on.

Although, handling strings directly in the .j file would be slightly more complex than anything else, I think. That might deserve a separate tool all on its own. Likely I would have to find all occurrences of strings, place them in a database somewhere, and note where (and how often) they occur (for repeat strings). Most likely I would use some form of SQL database for this. Untranslated strings could be output to a text file, where the translator could edit them into English, then request the program to import the translations back into the official .j file.

This would certainly make the initial translations easier for the .j file, though forwarding old .j file translations into new .j file translations is a potential problem. String contents and string positions can change easily in a .j file between versions, whereas with abilities/items/units, there's at least an ID one could use to forward old translations into new places.

I suppose one course of action could be to replace exact string matches in the .j file, then note strings that could not be replaced by an older translation.

Of course, this is all fantasy at the moment. Likely I wouldn't be able to start working on such a program this week, or even this month, anyway (though the advantage of having such a program wouldn't be immediately necessary on the first translation attempt anyway).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brogath

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:36 am

kok, the version is send to you.

such a compare program is only useful when the versions of the map are close to identical to each other.
unfortunately, the original and deprotected version differ quite a bit in script and string format/size.

this might make your idea extremely hard to realize, of course i would not stop you from making such a thing but you'd prolly be working on this for quite a while...

and if you want a protected map to be made from the final english version that is easy enough: we'll just plant the war3map.j back in the folder "script" and it cannot be opened by normal means.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d3z
Fate Another Developer

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:59 pm

Close to identical to each other, you say. Between a translated and untranslated map, not only are they close to identical, they are identical, with the strings being the only necessary difference. In my previous post I gave no intention of "unprotecting" a map or using any other such tool. Using automated programs to do that task is just asking for a butchery.

As for differences between an old untranslated version and a new untranslated version, how much really changes?

In order for two maps of Fate to not be "close to identical" to each other with just object ID and string comparison, that would mean the Korean makers would have to change every object ID or every description/name/tooltip every version. I haven't really checked, but I'm pretty sure this is wasted effort on their part since not much changes in these sectors between versions (based solely on how the abilities work).

Also, I did not give a bunch of specifics as to how such string comparison would work for no reason.

For one thing, ability/item/unit IDs are not very likely to change between versions (my BPA command in TFTLocal hasn't been modified for over 10 Fate versions, yet it still announces the proper hero Archer is targeting based solely on the unit ID).

Comparisons for ability/item/unit strings would first build a tree (or three) or their respective IDs, then compare strings between two versions (if you understand the format of the respective WE files, this is easy). Ability/unit/item IDs not found in one map but present in the other would simply be notified to the person running the tool.

You might be worrying about the map's .j file, though. I did mention this would probably be the hardest thing to run a string comparison / transfer tool on, since the .j file is the most likely of things to change between map versions (and there are no anchors like object IDs present). However, just like object IDs, most strings probably don't change either. For this reason, building a hash table of Korean strings along with their English translations would serve to pin point every string in the .j file that has already been translated.

Strings that don't have a matching hash / translation would simply be listed to the user running the tool.

The ideas as I've listed them are not difficult at all for a programmer to implement, so long as the data formats for the ability/item/unit data files are known (which they are). All the program I'm detailing would do is compare known data and transfer known data to known locations.

The point of the tool is not to automate the translation process. It's to reuse translations as much as possible with no analysis and copy and paste effort from the person updating the translation to a new version. As I mentioned before, even with the tool, hand edits will be necessary, but likely this will be much simpler with a list like...
Quote :

210 abilities were copied over with no incident
80 units were copied over with no incident
40 items were copied over with no incident
Ability [XXXX:Unlimited Blade Works] changed its name/description/tooltip
New ability [XXXX:'Avenger's Newest Attribute'] present in map B but not in map A
Ability [XXXX blah] is present in map A but not in map B (removed ?)

Strings from the .j file most likely would be placed into a .txt file with the string itself (for the translator to translate) and the ID of the string.

Quote :

STRING_001 {
Korean text
}

STRING_002 {
Korean text
}

Kind of like the .wts file, only this would hold every map string in the .j file. Furthermore, the user would be able to throw this text file back into the program to have it update all of those strings in the .j file (the locations of the strings to replace would be stored in a database).

On another note, I have no intention of "unprotecting" the map. The required files can be extracted and re-imported with no "unprotection".

Honestly, I feel anyone hoping to translate a map still in development would think of ways to reduce the workload of switching to a newer untranslated version.

The point of the tool I have in mind is to not start on square one every time a new version of Fate is released. Most likely someone who can read Korean and English will have to do a lot of copying and pasting for even just a minor version release, which they most likely would not want to do, which most likely would mean translated versions not up to date with the Korean version.

(I have to do something similar to this to update TFTLocal upon every Wc3 patch, which I do not look forward to doing. I wish people would stop introducing game breaking hacks so Blizzard would stop patching, geez)

The tool is basically meant to handle the "copy and paste" part of transfer.

Although, for updating object IDs / translations, it may be easy to use the object hack part of Grimoire to simply add in object additions with the proper IDs. Regardless, the person doing this will still have to check every object ID for changes and every description for changes (something the tool would do).

The tool would basically attempt to organize an update process into these steps:
1) Compare old translated version to new untranslated version and note any changes
2) Transfer old translated strings into new version
3) Hand edit the things the tool couldn't handle (new abilities / new Korean text in description/name/tooltips, etc)
4) Instruct the tool to copy over all old English translations into byte-for-byte string matches in the untranslated map
5) Instruct the tool to build a text file of all strings in the untranslated map
6) The Korean/English fluent person hand translates all the things untranslated in the text
7) Instruct the tool to re-import the text file and replace all strings found in the map based on string position
8) The Korean/English fluent person would then translate the loading screen or whatever

Well, update the map some other way I guess?

Last edited by d3z on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LightburneR

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:52 pm

Oh, I did hear that translating was possible without deprotecting.

I can test >_>.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
l46kok
Fate Another Developer

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:56 pm

tl;dr

LOL JK.

Squally, if you can come up with such program, it'll be of a great use to me.

Meanwhile, I'll go ahead and translate 1.2g as I have the unprotected ver on my hand.
Back to top Go down
d3z
Fate Another Developer

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:37 pm

l46kok wrote:
tl;dr

LOL JK.

Meanwhile, I'll go ahead and translate 1.2g as I have the unprotected ver on my hand.

Yeah, the tool (for the most part) isn't meant to help with the initial translation anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TakizawaAkira

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:53 pm

l46kok wrote:
tl;dr

LOL JK.

So I'm guessing i'm in since you're still accepting my blow jobs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d3z
Fate Another Developer

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:54 pm

LightburneR wrote:
Oh, I did hear that translating was possible without deprotecting.

I can test >_>.

It is completely possible.

When Brogath released his English Fate, I simply took his translated files and moved them into the original Korean version he used in order to reduce the file size without once using the World Editor.

(For when I decided to host Fate publicly, a lower file size is important)

Although there is a verification hash or some such stored in the (attributes) file; the file should be deleted before trying to host a map this way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
l46kok
Fate Another Developer

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:37 pm

Gentlemen:

I have officially started the translation process. I will update you on the results periodically.
Back to top Go down
aneq

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:09 am

give me full list of ppl involved in this project so i can add a subforum ;o
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyuyung

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:15 am

how does translating work in future versions? like if gido makes another version, do you have to translate all that too?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brogath

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:42 am

well, if d3z makes that compare program, changes should be able to be applied relatively quick.

l4nkok wrote:
Gentlemen:

I have officially started the translation process. I will update you on the results periodically.
sure, let me know when you need me to do something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d3z
Fate Another Developer

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:27 am

I finished coding the comparison part of the tool. Note that this simply notifies the user of which abilities/items/units had their strings changed from version to version, and if an ability/item/unit was either added or removed from version to version.

Here's example output, with comparisons between FateAnother2v12br.w3x and FateAnother2v12gr.w3x

With the below output, there are 11 abilities that would need a Korean/English person to hand-edit them (10 relevant abilities were changed, 1 ability was added).

Code:
C:\www\C\codeblock\projects\EMS\wcstrings\bin\lateral>wcstrings c FateAnother2v12br.w3x FateAnother2v12gr.w3x
Opened file [FateAnother2v12br.w3x]
  Loading [scripts\war3map.j]... done (952839 extracted)
  Loading [war3map.j]... not found
  Loading [war3map.w3u]... done (95404 extracted)
  Loading [war3map.w3a]... done (668238 extracted)
  Loading [war3map.w3t]... done (15558 extracted)

Parsing units
Parsing abilities
Parsing items

Opened file [FateAnother2v12gr.w3x]
  Loading [scripts\war3map.j]... done (961046 extracted)
  Loading [war3map.j]... not found
  Loading [war3map.w3u]... done (95404 extracted)
  Loading [war3map.w3a]... done (673248 extracted)
  Loading [war3map.w3t]... done (15576 extracted)

Parsing units
Parsing abilities
Parsing items

Building trees ... done

Searching for removed abilities
Searching for changed abilities
  Ability [A01O] was changed
    Conflicting modification IDs were...
      abufA1, abufA2, abufA3, abufA4, abufA5, atarA1, atarA2, atarA3, atarA4, atarA5
  Ability [A01R] was changed
  Ability [A070] was changed
      aub1A1
  Ability [A07V] was changed
      aub1A1
  Ability [A05F] was changed
      aub1A1, aub1A2, aub1A3, aub1A4, aub1A5
  Ability [A011] was changed
      aartA0
  Ability [A060] was changed
      aub1A1
  Ability [A05U] was changed
      aub1A1, aub1A2
  Ability [A08K] was changed
      aub1A1
  Ability [A08S] was changed
      arutA0, aub1A1, aub1A2, aub1A3, aub1A4, aub1A5
  Ability [A06L] was changed
      arutA0
  Ability [A0AD] was changed
      aub1A1
  Ability [A0BK] was changed
      aub1A1
Searching for added abilities
  Ability [A0BI] was added
Searching for removed units
Searching for changed units
Searching for added units
Searching for removed items
Searching for changed items
Searching for added items

C:\www\C\codeblock\projects\EMS\wcstrings\bin\lateral>

Note that this will even check that useless strings have changed (useless strings being things such as the ability's targets, buff targets, button textures, and so on).

The strings you actually care about translating are things with an ID like aub1 and arut (these refer to the tooltip and research tooltips respectively). Things like abuf and atar can be ignored completely.

Probably will modify the program to return only relevant string conflicts eventually.

Everything not appearing in the "changed" list that was translated would be able to be moved over between versions automatically with no problems. Things that have a "change" can only have the strings that weren't changed transferred over, possibly resulting in a partial translation of an ability/item/unit.

Example changes between versions

Code:

Ability [A070] was changed
      aub1A1

Here's what change that's actually referring to:

Quote :
|c0080ffff속성 습득 포인트: 10

|c00ff8080주변 적의 이동속도와 공격속도를 30%씩 감소시킨다.

becomes

Quote :
|c0080ffff속성 습득 포인트: 10

|c00ff8080주변 적의 이동속도와 공격속도를 30%씩 감소시키며 마안의 외부적 이펙트가 없어진다.

between the two versions I checked.

Code:
Ability [A01O] was changed

Refers to...

Quote :

Level 1 - Stats - Buffs = None
Level 2 - Stats - Buffs = None
Level 3 - Stats - Buffs = None
Level 4 - Stats - Buffs = None
Level 5 - Stats - Buffs = None
. . .
Level 1 - Stats - Targets Allowed = None
Level 2 - Stats - Targets Allowed = None
Level 3 - Stats - Targets Allowed = None
Level 4 - Stats - Targets Allowed = None
Level 5 - Stats - Targets Allowed = None

becoming

Quote :

Level 1 - Stats - Buffs = B00K
Level 2 - Stats - Buffs = B00K
Level 3 - Stats - Buffs = B00K
Level 4 - Stats - Buffs = B00K
Level 5 - Stats - Buffs = B00K
. . .
Level 1 - Stats - Targets Allowed = Enemy
Level 2 - Stats - Targets Allowed = Enemy
Level 3 - Stats - Targets Allowed = Enemy
Level 4 - Stats - Targets Allowed = Enemy
Level 5 - Stats - Targets Allowed = Enemy

between versions.

Suggestions as to how to output the conflicts are welcome, of course.

Probably would be a good idea to show the conflicting strings themselves in the lists above.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZetaGundam

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:38 pm

Fluent in Korean, can translate.

Unfortunately, I'm busy most of the time, so meh. Some small stuff, I can proofread and translate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rakash

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:56 pm

I can proofread/spellcheck/whatnot if it's English.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment   

Back to top Go down

Fate / Another II English Version Translation Team Recruitment
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next