HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Internet Censorship

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
EternalDevote
Fate/Another Official Tester

PostSubject: Internet Censorship   Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:28 am

So who else heard about that Internet Censorship Bill that may or may not be passed in the near future for the US?
Is also supposed to let them sue websites from other countries and stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yden

PostSubject: Re: Internet Censorship   Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:10 am

I assume you mean the Protect IP act. From what I've seen, it doesn't seem likely to pass but it doesn't give the right to sue foreign website. What it does allow the suing of DNS servers/ISPs/search engines for listing infringing websites. Basically this means your IPS's DNS can no long link to say thepiratebay.org/ if you type in the URL but if you really wanted to access it, you would instead need to find the IP address of it.

There are other things the bill includes as well such as the website owner is liable for any illegal/copyright content posted by its users and can be sued without any warning. Of course this is a big problem for sites like Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, etc since they'd have to screen everything posted and censor anything that could even be borderline out of fear of being sued. In theory it could make things like singing a cover version of a song and posting it on Youtube illegal (ironically this is how Justin Beiber got discovered, a youtube video).

Anyways here's a video about it.
http://vimeo.com/31100268
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://nanoha.10.forumer.com/
YHWH

PostSubject: Re: Internet Censorship   Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:21 pm

Yden wrote:
I assume you mean the Protect IP act. From what I've seen, it doesn't seem likely to pass but it doesn't give the right to sue foreign website. What it does allow the suing of DNS servers/ISPs/search engines for listing infringing websites. Basically this means your IPS's DNS can no long link to say thepiratebay.org/ if you type in the URL but if you really wanted to access it, you would instead need to find the IP address of it.

There are other things the bill includes as well such as the website owner is liable for any illegal/copyright content posted by its users and can be sued without any warning. Of course this is a big problem for sites like Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, etc since they'd have to screen everything posted and censor anything that could even be borderline out of fear of being sued. In theory it could make things like singing a cover version of a song and posting it on Youtube illegal (ironically this is how Justin Beiber got discovered, a youtube video).

Alas poor torrents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yden

PostSubject: Re: Internet Censorship   Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:05 am

YHWH wrote:
Yden wrote:

Alas poor torrents.

Not even torrents. Take this forum for example. If someone posted a bunch of links to games and such, kok could be liable if this whole thing passes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://nanoha.10.forumer.com/
josph

PostSubject: Re: Internet Censorship   Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:16 pm

for a bill that won't do anything other than waste more money without solving the problem completely, that sucks

did the bill get passed yet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
YHWH

PostSubject: Re: Internet Censorship   Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:18 am

Yden wrote:
YHWH wrote:
Yden wrote:

Alas poor torrents.

Not even torrents. Take this forum for example. If someone posted a bunch of links to games and such, kok could be liable if this whole thing passes.

Not quite. What would happen, at most, is Kok receiving a cease and desist and, in case the situation persists, the provider being compelled to scrap the forum off. The majority of the legal threats thrown around by the industry are baseless and used solely for intimidation... That and simply pressing the case forward, much as they are likely to lose, has people giving in due to how costly, both in mony and time, it tends to be on a physical person to defend itself before the court.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Internet Censorship   

Back to top Go down

Internet Censorship
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1